Is Your Counsellor Well-Trained in Couples Work?
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
Many counsellors genuinely desire to help individuals and couples escape pain and disappointment in relationships so as to develop fulfilling, healthy and loving partnerships. But is your counsellor well-trained in couples work?
It’s important for you as a consumer to be informed and educated about how to find the best counselling and therapy for you when you’re looking for it.
Many people don’t realise that not all counsellors, therapists and psychologists are specially trained in relationship counselling, nor are they experienced in dealing with sexual issues.
Specific post-graduate training in couples, marriage or relationship counselling is necessary and important to achieve effective results with couples. General counselling training only covers at most one or two units related to working with couples.
I’m a specialized and expertly trained couples therapist working for your best interests. I’m also a fully accredited sex therapist with ASSERT. Relationship counselling is my specialty. Without specific training in couples work, and if your counsellor doesn’t practice evidence-based relationship tools in their own lives, these poorly-trained couples therapists can’t help your relationship to resolve old hurts or effectively heal sexual issues.
I have undergraduate and post graduate training specifically in couples counselling, couples therapy and sex therapy using the following approaches:
- Internal Family Systems Level 1 Training – Centre for Self Leadership. Trainer Dick Schwartz (in process).
- Relational Life Institute Level 1 Training – Relational Life Institute. Trainer – Terry Real.
- Assessing and Treating Sex Issues in Psychotherapy – Institute for Relational Intimacy. Trainer – Martha Kauppi.
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy – devised by Dr. John Gottman & Dr. Julie Gottman
- Webinar training with Esther Perel – Rekindling Desire
- Sex therapy & counselling – taught by Dr. Marty Klein, Dr. Tammy Nelson, Dr. Joe Kort, Dr. Barry McCarthy & Martha Kauppi
- Rekindling Desire – Dr. Esther Perel
- What Works in Couples Therapy and sex therapy – taught by Dr. Terry Real & Dr. Esther Perel
- Relational Life Institute – taught by Dr. Terry Real
- Psychobiological Approach to Couples Therapy (PACT) – taught by by Dr. Stan Tatkin.
- Developmental Approach to Couples Therapy – taught by Dr. Ellyn Bader & Dr. Peter Pearson
- Emotionally Focused Therapy – established by Dr. Leslie Greenberg & Dr. Susan Johnson and further developed and taught by Dr. Michelle Webster.
In addition, I have many years of experience in working with relationship issues for individuals and couples and have worked with heterosexual as well as LGBTQI people for decades. I am always engaged in furthering my skills by attending workshops and trainings, as well as reading books, articles and research written and conducted by leaders in the field of relationship work. I continue to update my competence in working with sex and sexuality issues.
I encourage any individuals or couples that are seeking relationship counselling, coaching or therapy to interview the prospective counsellor (via telephone or email) before making a first appointment. Ask the counsellors that you interview what training and how long they trained to work specifically with couples and relationships. If they are appropriately qualified, their answers should reassure you.
Your relationship is important. It is your right to make sure that you only work with someone that is specifically trained in couples and relationships work, so that you have the best chance of getting the results you want.
It is unfortunate that some therapists and counsellors are working with couples without having specific training or skills in this area.
Get in touch
If you’re not ready to book an appointment, call me on (0421) 961 687 to book a FREE 10 minute phone consultation to discuss how I may be able to assist you.