Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Make sure your counsellor is well-trained in couples work. Listen to me on this three minute mp3 talking about couples work:
“Hi, I’m Vivian Baruch & I’m a relationship coach, counsellor & therapist. I’d like to give you a few tips on how you can make sure your counsellor is well trained in couples and relationship work.
Many counsellors genuinely desire to help individuals and couples escape pain and disappointment in relationships so as to develop fulfilling, healthy and loving partnerships. But is your counsellor well-trained in couples work?
It’s important for you as a consumer to be informed and educated about how to find the best counselling and therapy for you when you’re looking for it.
Many people don’t realise that not all counsellors, therapists and psychologists are specially trained in relationship counselling, nor are they experienced in dealing with sexual issues.
Specific post-graduate training in couples, marriage or relationship counselling is necessary and important to achieve effective results with couples. General counselling training only covers at most one or two units related to working with couples.
I’m a specialized and expertly trained couples therapist working for your best interests. Relationship counselling is my specialty. Without specific training in couples work, and if your counsellor doesn’t practice evidence-based relationship tools in their own lives, these poorly-trained couples therapists can’t help your relationship to resolve old hurts or effectively heal sexual issues.
I have undergraduate and post graduate training specifically in couples counselling, couples therapy and sex therapy using the following approaches:
- Level 1 Professional Training in Mind-Body Medicine – Integrating mind-body medicine into clinical practice, medical education & trauma healing. The Center for Mind-Body Medicine. Trainers – Dr. James Gordon MD, Amy Shinal MSW, Kathleen Farah MD, Linda Richtsmeier Cyr PhD .
- Internal Family Systems Level 1 Training – Centre for Self Leadership. Trainer Dick Schwartz (in process).
- Relational Life Institute Level 1 Training – Relational Life Institute. Trainer – Terry Real.
- Assessing and Treating Sex Issues in Psychotherapy – Institute for Relational Intimacy. Trainer – Martha Kauppi.
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy – devised by Dr. John Gottman & Dr. Julie Gottman
- Sex therapy – taught by Dr. Marty Klein, Dr. Tammy Nelson, Dr. Joe Kort, Dr. Barry McCarthy & Martha Kauppi
- Rekindling Desire – Dr. Esther Perel
- What Works in Couples Therapy – taught by Dr. Terry Real & Dr. Esther Perel
- Relational Life Institute – taught by Dr. Terry Real
- Psychobiological Approach to Couples Therapy (PACT) – taught by by Dr. Stan Tatkin.
- Developmental Approach to Couples Therapy – taught by Dr. Ellyn Bader & Dr. Peter Pearson
- Emotionally Focused Therapy – established by Dr. Leslie Greenberg & Dr. Susan Johnson and further developed and taught by Dr. Michelle Webster.
In addition, I have many years of experience in working with relationship issues for individuals and couples and am always engaged in furthering my skills by attending workshops and trainings, as well as reading books, articles and research written and conducted by leaders in the field of relationship work.
I encourage any individuals or couples that are seeking relationship counselling, coaching or therapy to interview the prospective counsellor (via telephone or email) before making a first appointment. Ask the counsellors that you interview what training and how long they trained to work specifically with couples and relationships. If they are appropriately qualified, their answers should reassure you.
Your relationship is important. It is your right to make sure that you only work with someone that is specifically trained in couples and relationships work, so that you have the best chance of getting the results you want.
It is unfortunate that some therapists and counsellors are working with couples without having specific training or skills in this area.”
Get in touch
If you’re needing help to save your relationship, and to develop good relationship skills, you may need an experienced relationship counsellor & coach. Call 0421 961 687 or email us to schedule an appointment. International callers should call +61 421 961 687.
You deserve the best trained relationship coaches if you’re planning to invest time and money in your relationship. If you’re not ready to book an appointment, call us on 0421 961 687 to book a FREE 15 minute phone consultation to discuss how we may be able to assist you.